American singer Jack Avery has finally spoken out after his ex-partner, social media influencer Gabriela Gonzalez, was arrested and charged with attempting to murder him following a contentious custody battle over their daughter.
Statement on Instagram
Avery, a member of the boy band Why Don't We, issued a lengthy statement on Instagram on Friday, May 22, after Gonzalez and her father, Francisco Gonzalez, were arrested for allegedly hiring a hitman to kill the musician. The alleged plot stemmed from a long-running custody and visitation dispute between Gonzalez, who has over 460,000 followers, and Avery involving their seven-year-old daughter, Lavender, according to a probable cause affidavit obtained by People.
Avery told his 1.4 million Instagram followers that he decided to speak out after staying silent "for years out of respect for the legal process."
"A few days ago, three individuals were arrested in connection with an alleged plot to kill me. One of those individuals is the mother of my daughter," he wrote. "For years, my family and I have endured intense public scrutiny, false accusations and deeply painful attacks on our character and reputation. Throughout that time, I chose to remain silent out of respect for the legal process and most importantly, for my daughter."
Sole Custody and Gratitude
Avery said that now the "truth has unfolded," he has sole custody of his daughter and will focus on being the best father he can be. "I'm thankful to have the sole custody of my daughter, Lavender, who is safe, healthy and deeply loved. I look forward to continuing to build a peaceful and stable life for her," he expressed. He also thanked his family, friends, law enforcement, and the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office for their support. "And finally, to everyone who has supported me and withheld judgment while the truth unfolded, thank you. Always seek the truth."
Charges Filed
The LA County District Attorney's Office announced on May 19 that Gonzalez, her father, and her former boyfriend Kai Cordrey were each charged with one count of attempted murder, conspiracy to commit murder, and solicitation of murder. The attorney's office stated that Gonzalez "was embroiled in a custody dispute" with Avery over their daughter and that between "2020 and 2021, she is accused of seeking the assistance of her then-boyfriend Cordrey to hire someone on the dark web to kill Avery." The murder-for-hire plot was allegedly staged to look like a car crash in Los Angeles.
Alleged Payments and Witness Statements
A witness told police that Francisco allegedly paid Cordrey $10,000 to carry out the murder. Investigators alleged that the father became "deeply involved" in the custody battle and tried to "discredit, monitor and remove Avery from (their daughter's life)." According to the affidavit, one witness claimed Francisco said words "to the effect that it would be cheaper if Avery were dead."
If convicted, each of the three accused faces 25 years to life in prison. Avery previously revealed in an interview on the Zac Sang Show in September last year that FBI agents had warned him someone was allegedly trying to kill him.



