Peter Stone has stepped down as the chief executive of the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM), only seven months after the agency launched a controversial $96 million website. The resignation, announced on Monday, comes amid ongoing criticism of the new digital platform, which has been plagued by technical issues and user complaints since its launch in February.
Resignation Details
Stone, who had been in the role since 2020, cited personal reasons for his departure. In a statement, he said, "After much consideration, I have decided to resign from my position to spend more time with my family." The Bureau of Meteorology confirmed that Stone's resignation was effective immediately, with deputy CEO Dr. Andrew Johnson stepping in as acting chief executive.
Background on the $96 Million Website
The new BOM website, which cost $96 million to develop, was intended to modernize the agency's online presence and improve user experience. However, it faced immediate backlash from users, including farmers, emergency services, and the general public, who reported difficulties in accessing critical weather data, slow load times, and a confusing interface. The website's launch was also criticized for being rushed, with many features not fully functional.
In the months following the launch, the Bureau acknowledged the issues and implemented several updates to address the problems. However, the controversy continued to mount, with calls for greater transparency and accountability from the agency's leadership.
Political and Public Reaction
Stone's resignation has drawn mixed reactions from political figures and industry stakeholders. Federal Minister for the Environment and Water, Tanya Plibersek, thanked Stone for his service and wished him well in his future endeavors. However, opposition spokesperson for climate change and energy, Ted O'Brien, said the resignation was "inevitable" given the website's failures, and called for a full review of the project's management.
Agricultural groups, who rely heavily on BOM data for farming decisions, expressed relief at the leadership change but stressed the need for immediate improvements to the website. "Farmers need reliable and accessible weather information, and the current system has let them down," said a spokesperson for the National Farmers' Federation.
Future of the Bureau of Meteorology
With Stone's departure, the Bureau faces the challenge of restoring public trust and ensuring the website meets the needs of its diverse users. Dr. Andrew Johnson, the acting CEO, has pledged to continue working on improvements and to engage with stakeholders to address their concerns. The government has also indicated that it will closely monitor the situation and consider further action if necessary.
The BOM's website remains a critical tool for Australians, particularly during extreme weather events such as bushfires, floods, and cyclones. Ensuring its reliability and user-friendliness is seen as essential for public safety and disaster preparedness.
As the Bureau navigates this transition, attention will now turn to the search for a permanent CEO, with the government expected to announce the recruitment process in the coming weeks.



