The AFL has officially forced the end of Hawthorn’s 25-year relationship with Launceston and Northern Tasmania after 2027, as the league prepares to welcome the Tasmania Devils into the competition. The decision, which has been anticipated for some time, was confirmed on Tuesday, prompting a strong response from the Hawthorn Football Club.
Hawthorn expresses disappointment and seeks compensation
Hawthorn issued a statement on Tuesday expressing their disappointment with the AFL’s decision. The club has also requested financial compensation, as the move is expected to significantly impact their bottom line, reportedly costing around $5 million annually. Veteran AFL journalist Caroline Wilson commented on Channel 7’s The Agenda Setters on Tuesday night, stating, “They cannot be surprised by this. The president signed off on a one-team state in 2023 when the heads of agreement happened. And Hawthorn have been fighting the good fight. I’m not sure why, except for the obvious financial benefit.”
Background and reactions
Hawthorn president Andy Gowers is reportedly unhappy with the forced exit. Wilson noted that even the Tasmanian government had recently made it clear they would not continue the sponsorship agreement with Hawthorn, as they are set to provide $12 million annually to the new Tasmanian team. Wilson added that Hawthorn’s lingering presence in Tasmania had begun to divide the state, and AFL chiefs had no choice but to end the partnership.
Wilson also revealed that the new commission was surprised the call hadn’t been made earlier. “Brendon Gale first asked for this to happen at the start of last year when he started at the club,” she said. The AFL’s view, according to Wilson, is that Hawthorn plays at the MCG with large crowds, and the league is aiming to boost attendances across the competition. When the Tasmania Devils play at UTAS, they will host big clubs like Collingwood, Geelong, and Essendon, offering greater commercial benefits.
Future plans for Tasmania Devils
When the Devils join the AFL in 2028, they will still play games at the University of Tasmania in Launceston. Wilson confirmed, “There’ll be at least four games in Launceston, which is what there is at the moment. That’s absolutely what’s going to happen in the first instance, for at least the first three or four years, there’ll be seven games at UTAS at an absolute minimum.” She expressed surprise at Hawthorn’s reaction, adding that the club should have had a plan B and a sponsorship plan B.
Compensation and alternative options
Wilson stated that the MCG is Hawthorn’s “main plan” for now, but they will push for financial compensation from the AFL. Hawthorn’s AFLW team plays in Cairns, which could be an option, but president Andy Gowers said that is not currently on the club’s radar. Wilson noted, “The other clubs have raised their eyebrows at this because Hawthorn have done very well out of Tasmania. But I think the AFL will acknowledge the 8000 members and all the work Hawthorn have done there over 25 years.”
Hawthorn champion Luke Hodge expressed understanding of the club’s disappointment, given the time and effort invested in Tasmania over 25 years. “They’re disappointed not just because they have a good record down there, but it’s also 25 years of Hawthorn putting time and effort in the area,” Hodge said. “Yes, Hawthorn did well financially out of them, but they’ve given a lot back to Launceston, given a lot back to Tasmania. So, now in their eyes, it’s almost 25 years of build-up to be wasted, because the AFL now says go and find another major sponsor.”
Dale Thomas suggested Hawthorn would build a relationship “somewhere else for $5 million,” while Wilson noted that draft numbers out of Tasmania had been in decline during Hawthorn’s tenure. She accepted that the decline was not due to Hawthorn, but said a Tasmanian AFL team would help grow the game in the state and inspire more kids to play AFL and AFLW football.



