Depraved Townsville father jailed for accessing graphic child abuse stories online
Townsville father jailed for accessing child abuse stories

A Townsville father has been sentenced to prison for accessing graphic child abuse stories on a website, in a case that has shocked the local community. The man, who cannot be named to protect the identity of his children, appeared in the Townsville District Court on Thursday where he pleaded guilty to one count of using a carriage service to access child abuse material.

Details of the Offence

Court documents revealed that between January and June 2021, the man accessed a website that contained stories describing sexual acts involving children. The stories were detailed and graphic, depicting the abuse of children as young as five years old. The man accessed the site multiple times, viewing and downloading the stories for his own gratification.

Investigation and Arrest

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) launched an investigation after receiving a report from the United States-based National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC). The report indicated that an IP address in Townsville had accessed the website. In July 2021, police executed a search warrant at the man's home, seizing electronic devices that contained evidence of the offences.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Court Proceedings

During the sentencing hearing, the court heard that the man had a prior history of good character and had no previous convictions. His defence lawyer argued that he had been struggling with depression and had turned to the material as a coping mechanism. However, Judge Julie Ryrie said the offending was 'depraved' and that the man had contributed to the demand for child abuse material.

'You knew what you were doing was wrong, yet you continued to access this material for your own sexual gratification,' Judge Ryrie said. 'The stories you accessed were not fictional; they described real children being abused. By accessing this material, you are perpetuating the abuse of children.'

Sentence

The man was sentenced to 18 months in prison, with a non-parole period of 9 months. He will be eligible for release in July 2023. He was also placed on the Sex Offenders Register for 10 years.

Impact on Family

The man's wife, who was present in court, broke down in tears as the sentence was handed down. The couple's children have been taken into the care of relatives. The court heard that the man's wife was 'devastated' by the discovery of his offending and had since separated from him.

Police Warning

Detective Inspector Joe McCrow of the AFP's Child Protection Operations said the case served as a warning to others who access child abuse material. 'There are no boundaries when it comes to protecting children,' Detective Inspector McCrow said. 'We will continue to work with our international partners to identify and prosecute those who seek to exploit children.'

The case highlights the ongoing efforts by law enforcement to combat online child abuse. The AFP encourages anyone with information about child exploitation to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration