Former New South Wales prop Aaron Woods has declared he "couldn't care less" if Queensland coach Billy Slater has blacklisted speaking to him on Triple M, as the pair's public feud extends into a second year.
Woods, a regular on Triple M Sydney's breakfast show, made headlines last year when he labelled Slater a "grub", referencing an incident in 2006 where Slater kicked then Wests Tigers prop John Skandalis. That comment sparked a war of words, culminating in an apology from Slater to the family of the late Paul Green.
Slater's Previous Remarks
In a dramatic precursor to last year's State of Origin II, Slater questioned Woods's right to have a voice in the media after copping heat from him. "When you hold a position in the media or in our game, I feel that's a privilege. And with that privilege comes a responsibility," Slater said in June last year.
"I sit in that position most weeks and you amplify your voice to millions of people. You're not talking to your mates in the pub. When you degrade someone personally in a derogatory manner, you probably don't deserve one of those privileged positions that we're all in."
Slater later apologised for his comments, admitting he "wrongly made the link between Paul Green's death and the stress and pressures of coaching, which wasn't accurate, nor was it appropriate."
Current Feud Escalates
A year on, reports have emerged that Slater, ahead of the upcoming Origin series, has blacklisted Triple M Sydney's breakfast show with Beau Ryan, Cat Lynch and Woods. On Monday's Triple M Breakfast with Beau, Cat & Woodsy, Lynch asked Woods: "How would you go? Say we had him on the show, we bring him in. 'Billy Slater, hey! We can sit you right here in between Beau and your new mate Woodsy'."
Woods cheekily doubled down in response: "I'd go, 'How good's this? Three grubs in a row'." More seriously, he added: "Honestly, he wouldn't bother me one single bit. It doesn't bother me one single bit. If he wants to have a cry, he can have a cry up north. I couldn't care less."
The trio continued to make light of the situation, with Ryan adding: "What should we do? Do we reach out to him? Through a third party? Do we break bread? Or do we drag this on for another couple of years?"
Origin Squad Announced
Later on Monday, Slater unveiled his squad for the series-opener next week, with Sam Walker being backed to guide Queensland from halfback as Dolphins prop Thomas Flegler makes an inspirational return to the State of Origin arena.
The Maroons have stuck solid with 11 players who won the Origin decider last year in the historic 24-12 triumph in Sydney, while naming six debutants in a 20-man squad to contest the Origin series opener, also in Sydney, on May 27.
Sydney Roosters playmaker Walker joins Dolphins pocket rocket Max Plath (lock) and Gold Coast winger Jojo Fifita as the new players in the starting side. Cronulla forward Briton Nikora (No.14) and Brisbane five-eighth Ezra Mam (No.18) are listed on the six-man bench. Dolphins powerhouse Kulikefu Finefeuiaki is 20th man.
The 23-year-old Walker has proven to be a big-game player through 96 NRL games. The Maroons brains trust are convinced he is ready to unleash his best at halfback after last year's No.7 and player of the Origin series Tom Dearden suffered a syndesmosis injury playing for North Queensland.
"We feel really confident about Sam Walker being the best option to play halfback," Slater said. "I know how much he loves this state and I can imagine him in the backyard dreaming of playing for Queensland with the No.7 on his back. It gives me chills thinking about it. I can't wait to see him in camp. He's an infectious little lad. I know he'll unlock plenty of the players around him."
The omission of Broncos and Australia fullback Reece Walsh, below his best in recent weeks, will be a surprise to some but Newcastle talisman Kalyn Ponga has a wonderful pedigree in Origin football at No.1. "It is difficult but we've all see what Kalyn's done at this level and also his return for the Knights this year," Slater said. "He's in exceptional form and I feel his best position is fullback. He knows how to play that position and has really nailed it. He's in a sweet spot of his career and life."



