Jai Arrow Retires from NRL After Motor Neurone Disease Diagnosis
Jai Arrow Retires from NRL After MND Diagnosis

South Sydney Rabbitohs and former Queensland State of Origin enforcer Jai Arrow has announced his immediate retirement from the NRL after being diagnosed with motor neurone disease (MND). The devastating news was revealed by Rabbitohs chief executive Blake Solly on Wednesday, sending shockwaves through the rugby league community. Arrow, who is only 30 years old, has played 98 games for the Rabbitohs since joining the club in 2021 under coach Wayne Bennett. Bennett had previously handed Arrow his first-grade debut at the Brisbane Broncos a decade ago, when Arrow was just 20 years old.

Arrow's Statement

In a statement released by the club, Arrow expressed his gratitude for the support he has received during what he described as an incredibly difficult and uncertain period in his life. He said: "After extensive medical testing and consultations regarding ongoing symptoms, I have recently received a diagnosis relating to a nerve and neurological condition. Further tests, specialist reviews and medical processes are still ongoing, and my doctors are continuing to assess my condition."

Arrow revealed that his symptoms have been affecting various aspects of his daily life in recent months. He stated: "Over recent months, my symptoms have affected different parts of my everyday life. On medical advice, I am not currently medically cleared to train or play at the required level, and I will be stepping away from those duties while I focus fully on my health, treatment, and rehabilitation."

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Thank You to Teammates and Family

Arrow took the opportunity to thank everyone at the South Sydney Rabbitohs for their personal support throughout the process. He said: "The South Sydney Rabbitohs, my teammates, staff, and everyone behind the scenes have made an incredibly hard situation much easier to face." He also acknowledged his teammates, adding: "To my teammates, thank you for treating me exactly the same every single day. Within minutes of walking through the doors, most of you are still making me laugh with the usual banter, and honestly, I wouldn't want it any other way."

Arrow also expressed his gratitude to his family and closest friends, saying: "To my family and closest mates, thank you for standing beside me through all of this. I know the road ahead won't be easy, but anyone who knows me knows I'm competitive, stubborn, and ready to fight this with everything I've got." He emphasised that what he needs now is support, understanding, and privacy while he and his family navigate this difficult time. He concluded: "This is only part of my story, and when the time is right, I'll share more. But for now, I ask everyone to respect my privacy while I continue working with my doctors and my family."

Arrow's Rugby League Career

Arrow's career spanned 12 seasons in the NRL, beginning with the Brisbane Broncos where he played from 2015 to 2016. He then moved to the Gold Coast Titans, where he spent four seasons from 2017 to 2020, before joining the Rabbitohs in 2021. Over his career, Arrow played 12 games for Queensland in State of Origin between 2018 and 2023, helping the Maroons win series in 2020, 2022, and 2023. He also played in the Rabbitohs' 2021 grand final loss to the Penrith Panthers.

MND in Rugby League

Arrow's diagnosis comes two and a half years after the death of former Maroons hardman Carl Webb, who passed away from MND at the age of 42. The rugby league world was also deeply affected by the death of Western Suburbs, Balmain, and North Sydney great Scott Gale, who succumbed to the debilitating condition at just 39 years of age in 2004. Arrow's retirement serves as a stark reminder of the serious health issues that can affect athletes, even at the peak of their careers.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration