St Kilda slammed for restricting Max King's press conference
St Kilda slammed for Max King press conference restrictions

St Kilda have been called out for an “embarrassing” decision to send sidelined star Max King to a press conference without permitting him to discuss his injuries. The 25-year-old key forward has not played an AFL game since June 2024, four months before signing a lucrative contract reportedly worth well over $1.5 million per season.

King's Recent Setbacks

King appeared in two VFL games recently before breaking down with a hamstring issue earlier this month. He is expected to miss at least another month before a potential return. Despite this, King attended a press conference on Monday to promote Spud’s Game, which is scheduled for later this year. However, he was only allowed to speak about that event.

Media Criticism

Craig Hutchison, speaking on Channel 7’s The Agenda Setters, described the situation as a “misstep.” He noted, “The media were advised Max wouldn’t be taking questions about really the only questions anyone wants to ask him, which is when will he be back.” King appeared visibly frustrated as he deflected inquiries about his health.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

When asked about his condition, King repeatedly stated, “Feeling good and excited for the backend of the year and games like Spud’s Game. Excited for the club.” He continued, “As I said I’m feeling good, excited to talk about Spud’s Game and it’s good to be here.” A third time, he added, “Again I’m here to talk about Spud’s Game. There’ll be a time I can go a bit deeper into the last few years but we know Spud’s Game is a great cause.”

Reactions from AFL Figures

St Kilda great Nick Riewoldt agreed that “it’s an odd look” and pointed out that the context of King’s appearance was that active players were on a day off during a short break between games. “If you’re going to go along I think you’ve got to be prepared to answer those questions,” he added.

Hutchison and Caroline Wilson both laughed at the club’s reasoning. Wilson called it “a joke,” while Hutchison remarked, “We are a shambles as an industry on player availability. He’s only allowed to talk about a game that’s on 13 weeks from now.”

Port Adelaide premiership player Kane Cornes argued that King should have been allowed to speak about his experiences over the past two years. “For Max, who’s getting a big cheque and he doesn’t play, to not be able to answer those questions you’re right it’s embarrassing,” he said. Hutchison replied, “He was put in that position by the club.” Cornes responded, “I know. But he hasn’t played so surely he can open up.” Hutchison added, “He should’ve said ‘listen if I’m there I’ve got to give something’.”

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration