NSW Premier Chris Minns Says DV Funding Not Enough After Alleged Murders
Chris Minns: DV Funding Not Enough After Alleged Murders

New South Wales Premier Chris Minns has conceded that the state government’s current funding for domestic violence services is not enough, following the alleged murders of two women in the Illawarra region. Speaking to reporters on Monday, Minns said the tragic deaths of the women, which occurred in separate incidents over the weekend, highlighted the urgent need for more resources to combat domestic and family violence.

Premier’s Acknowledgment

“We know that the funding we have provided is not sufficient to meet the demand,” Minns stated. “We are working with service providers to ensure that women and children are safe.” The Premier added that the government would be reviewing its spending on domestic violence prevention and support services, with an announcement expected in the coming weeks.

The alleged murders have sent shockwaves through the Illawarra community. In one incident, a 48-year-old woman was found dead at a home in Wollongong, and a 49-year-old man has been charged with her murder. In another, a 35-year-old woman was killed in a separate alleged domestic violence incident in the same region.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Community Reaction

Local domestic violence advocates have long argued that funding is inadequate. “We see this every day,” said Jane Smith, CEO of Illawarra Women’s Health Centre. “The demand for our services far exceeds our capacity. We need sustained investment, not just one-off grants.” The Women’s Safety NSW coalition has called for an additional $1 billion in funding over the next four years to address the crisis.

Minns acknowledged the advocacy, saying, “We hear the calls from frontline workers and survivors. We must do better.” He also emphasized the need for a whole-of-government approach, involving education, policing, and housing.

Government Response

The NSW government has already committed $500 million over four years to domestic violence services, but critics say this is insufficient given rising demand. The Premier’s comments come as the state grapples with a spike in domestic violence incidents, with reports increasing by 12% in the past year.

Opposition Leader Mark Speakman criticized the government’s response, stating, “We need action, not just words. The Premier must urgently convene a summit with experts and survivors to develop a comprehensive plan.” Minns responded by saying he is open to such a summit but stressed that immediate measures are also needed.

National Context

The issue of domestic violence funding is not unique to NSW. Across Australia, advocates are calling for more federal and state funding as the number of women killed by intimate partners rises. According to the Australian Institute of Criminology, 34 women have been killed in domestic violence incidents so far this year, a 20% increase from the same period last year.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has also pledged additional federal funding, but state leaders argue that more coordination is needed. Minns said he would raise the issue at the next national cabinet meeting.

The Illawarra community is now mourning the loss of the two women, with vigils planned for the coming days. Local member of parliament Ryan Park expressed his condolences, saying, “We must all work together to end this violence. Every woman deserves to be safe in her own home.”

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration